Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Let the Stronger Women Face the World Outside

I've framed my life in such a way that I rarely need to leave our home and garden. I would in fact make a perfect recluse. I spent far too many years of my life being single and experiencing the world alone -- my husband did too.

Now that I have been married three years, I still deeply crave the security that I have, even as I live it each day.

I don't measure up to today's modern ladies. They are all out there fighting wars, getting promotions, breaking ceilings, facing stress at work, debating, competing, fighting traffic, etc.

I can't be bothered, partially because I couldn't handle it all again, and partially because none of it appeals to me. Let the stronger women face the world outside. I am made for the home and that is where I intend to stay.

There are days I simply disappear into the kitchen and cook all day, working through my thoughts as I cut carrots and potatoes for a beef stew I simmer all afternoon, knead and bake homemade rustic bread, and craft an old-fashioned peach tart. That's all the occupation I need to feel complete.

I've learned many lessons in life, the most important one is that the world outside and people are indeed dangerous. But home is a place away from it all, where we can be ourselves without judgement, heal, and surround ourselves with love and the things that make us comfortable.

The poem by John Howard Payne (1791-1852) reads:

To thee I'll return, overburdened with care; 
The heart's dearest solace will smile on me there; 
No more from that cottage again will I roam; 
Be it ever so humble, there's no place like home. 

--Let me stay here forever--

6 comments:

Adenarah said...

I have always been a homebody which is why I love being a homemaker so much. Since being married we have made the decision for me to stay at home. It has been about 2 months now since we made that change and I do not regret it at all. My fulfillment and importance at home becomes more apparent as time passes. I love being a full-time homemaker as my heart truly is at home. I love the fact that I can spend my time making our home our sanctuary and like you I do not feel the desire to go out into the world. I think some women are meant for a career in the outside world, but not all women as demanded by modern society. I think contemporary society has forsaken the importance of taking care of the home and doing it well. The world needs more homemakers and homebodies :)

The Quaint Housewife said...

Adenarah,

I am happy to hear you've made this change, and I hope these last two months have given you a sense of personal freedom that perhaps you didn't feel before. I know what you mean about being a homebody and how the world doesn't seem to value the home much anymore.

Thank goodness us housewives are here :)

ChloeMarie D said...

Thank you for this post. You took the words right out of my mouth. I feel exactly the same way but unfortunately am not a housewife yet. We live in South Florida, which we hate, and is very expensive. Until we can save up enough to move I have to keep working. It's getting harder though due to my anxiety. For now I have to keep going for our financial future. In the meantime thank you for your blog. I love finding women out there who are like me since I have always felt different from everyone else.

The Quaint Housewife said...

Dear ChloeMarie, what a pretty name you have. I've always felt different too.

I hope you get to move soon and live your housewife dreams. Some of us are just more comfortable at home. It gets tiring to be out there. I know how you feel. I think I've always been a homebody, except for a few years in my 20s when I wanted to explore the country.

Some of the people's names on my Facebook and YouTube channel are hidden, so I can't tell if you follow me. I'd love to have a like-minded person such as yourself on there :D

Thanks for your comment.

Sue said...

I just recently discovered your blog and like it very much! I have pretty much worked part-time our whole married life (34 years) but at heart am a homemaker. My job hours were cut from 24 per week to 15 and at first I was very upset at losing the money and kind of feeling like I was a loser because I didn't work more hours. People my whole life have judged me for only working part time, acting as if I am lazy or using my husband and being a burden.
I have come in the last year to enjoy my time at home. I am getting to things I have put off, sorting and purging 34 years of stuff. I want to learn to take the time to be creative and do something just for fun. Your blog helps me to see I am not along in my love of being home and not wanting to be a career woman. Thanks so much! Keep posting for all of us homebodies.

The Quaint Housewife said...

Sue, thank you so much. I can understand your feelings about both reduced income and being on the receiving end of the judgement of others. You are the opposite of a loser because you're able to spend time doing what you love. I say congratulations. I'd love to hear what you get up to. I both blog and post videos on my YouTube channel. If you belong to YouTube I hope you subscribe. I am about to make a new post in a few minutes:D

My topics vary but they are mostly about the various things I enjoy as a housewife.

Thank you for joining me here and please stay tuned :D