Saturday, December 12, 2015

What Housewives Watched in the 80s and 90s

It must have been nice to be a housewife in the 80s. I say this because I miss my old soap operas. In the 80s you had non-stop game shows and soaps from 9 am until 3 pm. Great time to relax after you get any kids off to school and send your husband off to work.


I was so upset a few years ago when they canceled One Life to Live after being on TV for 45 years. I watched Days of Our Lives on and off since I was 9 years old when I was home for the summer.

I don't watch it anymore because I don't like the new themes they've integrated into the show. But over the years I've watched Days of Our Lives, Another World, All My Children, and One Life to Live. The latter being my all-time favorite. I don't have any soaps I watch now.

One of my favorite themes from the shows were in the 80s and 90s on Days of Our Lives when troubled young woman Eve got Jack to marry her.


Jack needed the money to save his newspaper and Eve needed to get married to get her inheritance. Jack and Jennifer were on a break from their relationship then. It didn't help that Jennifer and Eve hated each other, and now Eve had the husband that was meant for Jennifer. Jennifer and Jack got married later on, but that time in the soap's life was dramatic to watch.




One Life to Live was great ever since I started watching it in 2003. Sadly it was canceled in 2012. They did a Hulu version of the show for less than a year afterward with a much smaller cast. Sadly, that was canceled too. It is a new generation of people watching TV now. They want reality shows I guess instead of scripted stuff.

I even miss the commercials of soap operas in the 80s. These days they bombard you with sad pharmaceutical drug commercials. Back then you would always see commercials for Hellmann's Mayo, coffee, Betty Crocker, Pillsbury, baby products, etc. -- stuff housewives were really interested in.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oops, I forgot to "identify "myself.
It's Mrs. K.

The Quaint Housewife said...

Hi Mrs. K. I don't have a comment from you other than this one :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, I sent it!

When I was young, I used to watch Dynasty and Dallas :-)

Today I am watching shows on Netflix.
I mostly watch when I am cooking or ironing.

In the past I hated ironing.
Today I like it.
4 hrs of ironing mean a guilt-free Netflix marathon :-)

Mrs. K.

The Quaint Housewife said...

Oh, my husband loved Dallas. Now he and I watch a night time "soap opera" called Blood & Oil.
That is a great way to get ironing done -- while watching Netflix.

You get to enjoy yourself while still being meticulous and disciplined! Bravo!