Thursday, October 29, 2015

Mata Hari and Her Bridesmaids

If you read my last post on Mata Hari, you know I am a fan of reading about her. I wanted to post for you a rare photo I found of the infamous Mata Hari and her bridesmaids on the day she became a wife in 1895.

Mata Hari on her wedding day with her bridesmaids

No one really knows anything about the bridesmaids, as details about that day have been lost to history. That day showed little sign of the exotic dancer and queen of espionage Margaretha Zelle was to become in the future. On her wedding day she wore white and carried a bouquet just as any other traditional bride of her Victorian era. This picture also does not quite show her stature, as Mata Hari was a woman 5' 10" in height.

I hope to have more posts about Victorian-era brides and wives in the future.

2 comments:

Bercel KyBer said...

Appearances can be so deceiving huh? Thanks for this picture.

The Quaint Housewife said...

Indeed! And you're welcome.