Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Lazy Days in the Garden

That's what I look forward to the most this coming Spring: lazy days in my garden, looking at the trees and plants I sowed slowly grow. These days of weather, teasing us with 50 and 60 degree temperatures, really makes it easy to jump the gun on planting, but I will just have to wait ...

Lazy days in the garden


When I was a single woman, I remember growing plants in my city apartment window, thinking, "It would be great to have a patch of land one day. Years later, I am here ...

A few weeks ago I bought so many varieties of heirloom seeds -- flowers for the front of the house: polar white zinnias, morning glories for trellising, and petunias for just being pretty.

For the backyard, where the real respite from the world is, I bought a bunch of vegetable seeds: string beans, carrots, tomatoes, bell peppers, poblanos, peas, broccoli, celery, and so much more. You all know how much I hate to be in public, and so it will be nice when I can grow fruits and veggies from our garden to help us be much less reliant on grocery stores. I want to make our own soaps with herbs and flowers we grow too. So those lazy days in the garden will not be so lazy, more about transplanting, trellising, and pest control. The relaxation will come after a full day's work out there.

If the harvest all goes well, we will have plenty of canning to do too, which is a good thing.

With our hands and minds we have the ability to work the land to feed us. I don't think we are meant to rely on those box stores at all. But where we live we can't have livestock, so there goes the real self-sustenance. Our neighbors and us also have an all-open backyard.. There is a good amount of space, but we are looking forward to having a fence or privacy barrier of some kind. Maybe we can afford it next year. It doesn't fully feel like home when you have to face strangers across the other property.

Do you have a garden or plants of any kind? I would love to read about it.


No comments: