Monday, March 9, 2015

An Enchanted Movie for Housewives

For all of you housewives out there who are also fond of period films, you will love Enchanted April because it combines housewife characters we can relate to, and wraps them up in a story in genteel 1920s England and Italy.

Watch the Trailer (below right)


In Enchanted April, Lottie Wilkins, a housewife without children, sees an ad in a paper for a rental at an Italian villa. Lottie is a bit disenchanted -- or perhaps bored -- with her life and her devoted yet slightly self-centered husband. She sees this ad and simply wants to get away for a little break, to enjoy herself.

So Lottie convinces another woman from her church that she barely knows -- Rose -- to join her on this getaway for the month of April in Italy. Rose has children, and a husband she doesn't relate to completely on a spiritual scale, as she is Christian-oriented and her husband writes erotic novels under a pen name. So these two housewives find two other women interested in renting the villa and off they go to enchanted Italy.

I cannot say enough good things about this movie without giving it away entirely, but it is a great woman's movie overall. There is no violence, no cursing, no infidelity. There is, however, sunshine, new friendships, new-found love, and a focus on marriage -- for us wives out there.

I do find I relate to the character of Lottie Wilkins -- the housewife without kids -- in a few ways. She is a basically good-looking and sturdy woman -- someone that makes a good wife.

She is also a little awkward and says things like she saw the ghost of Keats in the London streets the other day. While I don't say things like that, I have found I say awkward things in social situations when I do not know how to respond to someone -- another reason I belong indoors and away from the throng!

I hope you give this movie a try. I think you'll really enjoy it and perhaps even relate to one of the characters yourself. Please let me know in the comments what you think of this movie if you watch it.


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Catherine!
I came across an interesting character while watching Sons of Anarchy.
It's Gemma Teller Morrow. She is 51 and describes herself as housewife and mother.
I sort of like her because the term "housewife" is in people's minds
connected with attributes like "helpless, weak, dependant, not goal-oriented etc.
Gemma is the exact opposite of that :-)

Mrs. K

Catherine said...

Hi there Mrs, K,

I just read her character bio. This chick is tough as nails!

My goodness. Well I am staying in my corner over here. Hahaha.

Catherine

Anonymous said...

Hi Catherine,

I am happy that I could introduce you to someone new :-)

I nominate Gemma Teller Morrow as a housewife of the month :-)

I'm watching the 2nd season. It's worth it, but it's not for the faint-hearted.

I think it's interesting - I cannot stand any drama and disharmony in a real life
but I do not mind it on TV.

Mrs. K

Catherine said...

Mrs. K, It looks like you have plenty of seasons left to enjoy the show. I so agree ... a little fictional drama can be fun!

Anonymous said...

Catherine, you write that you sometimes say awkward things in social situations.
Can you write a concrete example?

Mrs. K

Catherine said...

Mrs. K. Good question. I don't remember exact things right now, but I do remember the feelings of embarrassment! Do you have such experiences?

Anonymous said...

Yes, I have. Plenty actually :-) F. e. one older lady asked me if I smoked. I told her something like: "No, this would be the last nail in my coffin." She did not get what I meant - she was retired and she smoked, she taught I made suggestions she was old and was going to die soon.

Or one younger woman asked me if I liked horses. I said: Yeah, as a steak... It turned out she was a passionate horse owner. I have a talent for these things :-)
Mrs. K

Catherine said...

"Yeah, as a steak." That is too funny. Made my morning!

Anonymous said...

:-) It was definitely an honest answer :-)

Anonymous said...

I just watched the movie you recommended and it was lovely. Thank you Catherine. :)

I always liked the fashion during those times and to see the wonderful costumes for the movie was nice. Also, listening to Italian, even though they spoke only a few words during the movie was also great. I love Italian and I was an Italian tutor in fact but unfortunately I don't practice the language as often and I really miss it. I would love to go on vacation in an old villa in Italy.


Mia



Catherine Walker said...

Mia,

You're welcome. I am glad you enjoyed it. Italian sounds beautiful to me and it is amazing that you were an Italian tutor too. And that villa, oh my goodness. I would really love to go there myself. Especially after watching that movie I decided to put a lot of work into my front house garden. It was just boxwood before, but now there are a lot more flowers and vines. I wanted to make it an oasis of beauty. Enchanted April was my inspiration.

Catherine