Saturday, December 27, 2014

How I Secretly Became a Housewife

How do I become a housewife? is a question I get from a lot of women. They feel a lot is in their way. Even if the economic aspect of it is figured out, like how to live on one salary, they worry about what their colleagues and friends will think when they find out that they are leaving their job to become a housewife.

And often this is what holds the women back, a little bit of a fear of being ostracized. I can totally relate. I myself left a job to be at home. This is what I did:

I was sneaky. I knew it was really no one's business what I did when I left my workplace. I wanted privacy.

So I did not tell my colleagues what my true plans were. I got questions saying, "Oh, where are you going to work?" I simply said that I got a better offer somewhere else. And if they pressed me for information I would say I didn't want to say anything else.

I never told my old coworkers what I planned to do. I knew they wouldn't understand or would simply make me a subject of work gossip for a day or two. I just couldn't wait to leave the office for the last time. And when I did, the rush of freedom swept over me. I will never forget that day.

Now most of you would think it would still be difficult to become a housewife with no one knowing because of social media. That is another thing. I left my social media profiles up about two weeks after I left the job, including LinkedIn and Facebook. I didn't post any updates. Then I completely deleted the profiles. This way I didn't have to update anyone on anything. I didn't have to deal with anyone prying into my new life -- through me or a link from anyone else's profile who knows me.

I fell off the face of the earth. It was the best thing I ever did. That sounds funny, doesn't it? But I am a little bit of a loner, so you can see the appeal in the lifestyle change for me.

If you like solitude, being a housewife should suit you.

I do not like social media personally. I feel like it is just a platform for having to keep yourself "on" and accessible at all times.

The people I stayed in contact with afterwards are people who I gave my phone number to, but more so people who already had my phone number. These are people I had known for many years. I always felt that keeping my worlds separate -- family, business, friends -- is always best. Nothing to get caught in the cross-hairs.

So now, a few years down the line, I am here in my house in a different state, at peace with my husband, my cats, doing laundry, vacuuming, cooking, and decorating my house into a cozy, happy home.

I live oblivious to the goings-on of the 9-to-5 life, just the way it was meant to be.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome. And thanks for writing your blog.

Catherine said...

Thanks for reading!