Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Housewives without Kids Stay Busy in Big Houses

There is always something to clean in a big house!
Photo via Flickr 2.0


I am one busy Smurf.

Now that my husband and I are slowly settling into life in our new home, I can't believe how much more work I have to do since we moved into a bigger home. Besides the heavy moving work, getting used to the upkeep takes some time.

I have what I consider to be a big house. It is 3,300 square feet. The more house you have, the more work that is involved. Take for example:

  • Cleaning multiple bathrooms.
  • Washing linens: dining room linens, bedding, and drapes on a rotational cycle.
  • Steaming your drapes so that they lay straight without wrinkles. This means sometimes tending to a wide expanse of patio or balcony curtains for an hour.
  • Yard work: Laying down and spreading mulch, digging up and planting shrubs and flowers. God help you if your roses start to die and you have to deadhead and pick up hundreds of petals off the ground so that you don't look like the ghastly neighbor who doesn't take care of their property.
  • Opening doors and drawing drapes every morning in each room to let the light in. Then closing them all again at night.
  • Vacuuming multiple room rugs.
  • Washing throw rugs by hand
  • Polishing wood floors and wood furniture.
  • Changing light bulbs. One always is burning out.
  • Dusting the furniture.
  • Decorating your home for the seasons.
  • And all the other normal housewifey things there are to do: like cooking, regular cleaning tasks, taking care of the pets, taking care of the husband, laundry, etc.

It is a regular full-time job. Don't get me wrong. I love it. But it is a lot of work. I can totally see how housewives that live in mansions have to hire a housekeeper, gardener, and maid.

I would love to read about your housekeeping struggles to know I am not alone. I will adjust. I will!

In the meantime I haven't made any baked goods in a month and my husband is starting to miss them. Bye for now ... I need to get back to the kitchen!

No comments: