Wednesday, July 16, 2014

The Best Movies About Housewives

If you are anything like me, you enjoy being domestic and you also like to watch some drama-filled housewife stories unfold. Well, here is a list of my favorite movies about housewives. I watch these movies at least a few times a year. In addition, you can watch a lot of Lifetime domestic dramas free for 30 days.


What Lies Beneath
Mystery, 2000, PG-13, 130 minutes


If you have ever felt a little crazy or thought you were hearing things in your home, chances are it was not just from being in the house too long.  In What Lies Beneath, Claire, a housewife of a professor, starts to see things, like an invisible entity writing words in her foggy bathroom mirror.

In addition, more wacky things happen, like her front door magically opens right before she touches it. And of course, her husband, wrapped up in logic, sends her to therapy because she just must be a crazy housebound wife.

What Lies Beneath is set at a lakeside New England house, has thrills and chills, and of course, a beautiful unsuspecting homemaker at the center of the plot. Starring Michele Pfeiffer and Harrison Ford.




The Stepford Wives
Sci-fi, 1975, PG, 115 minutes


If you think being the perfect wife is the ultimate pursuit, then this movie is for you. And if a few people have to die to make some perfect wives, then so be it. We all have to make sacrifices. This is the original Stepford Wives, and to me it is better than the newer version.

A woman, Joanna, reluctantly leaves Manhattan to a new house in serene Stepford, CT. with her husband and kids. She slowly realizes that the women in Stepford are all too calm and domestic for her, and so her and another housewife get all in a feminist tizzy because they don't want to end up like those "pan scrubbers."

My favorite character in this movie is Charmaine, a housewife without kids. She has a small role but she's a glamorous wife, played by Tina Louise.

While most modern women will sit and watch this movie and think of how these ladies are trapped, I sit there and watch the perfectly coiffed, well-mannnered ladies and think, if I could only look and act like that all the time while cooking and cleaning the house. I've got some lessons to take! The Stepford Wives is especially great if you like to look back on 70s decor and hairstyles. Starring Katherine Ross and Paula Prentiss.





Tempted
Thriller, 2003, R, 90 minutes


An insecure but rich husband with a beautiful housewife decides to test his wife's loyalty by hiring one of his employees to try to seduce her into sleeping with him. What is so great about this movie is the pre-Katrina New Orleans jazzy, sultry backdrop.

The housewife is an ex-model living in a big house with her tycoon hubby. They live a carefree lifestyle until her husband cooks up his scheme.

So is the wife going to be the fool or will the plot turn against her husband? You just have to see Tempted to find out. Starring Saffron Burrows, Burt Reynolds, and Peter Facinelli.




My YouTube video of my favorite housewives:



So many great housewife characters and movies to choose from!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I am so happy to have found your website. I have been a housewife without kids for the past 4 years. It seems almost impossible to find other women like me. Do you or do you know of other women like us looking to connect?

Catherine said...

Hi there, I am happy you came and connected with me on my blog. I have housewife friends with kids and retired female friends with empty nests, but no one like myself -- married and without kids. A number of women like us do visit this site, however.

Please stay connected and comment wherever you wish. I hope to hear more about you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Catherine,
I have some older female friends but I don't seem to have much in common with housewives with kids.
I am from Connecticut. What state are you from?
Take care
Jaime

Catherine said...

Hi Jaime,

I live in Ohio. I love New England!

I have added a Contact Form on the right-hand side of my blog (under the page count), which will allow you to send me a private e-mail, and we can continue communicating from there!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm sure you will love the movie Toast (2010)
Awesome blog !

The Quaint Housewife said...

Thanks for the movie suggestion, Anon. Interesting that Freddie Highmore from Bates Motel is in it too!