Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Do You Ever Wish You Lived In Victorian Times?

Domestic Woman in the Victorian Times -- and also my avatar

The more I look at the world around me, the more I wish that it reflected the values of late-1800s America. Mainly because I relate to so much of what I read about the time period. Why?

I do not agree with the majority of the feminist doctrine that has led women to the point we are at today.
  • I don't believe that the boardroom is the best place to be or something women should strive for. I think women should be protected by men. Although I worked in corporate America a long time, in the back of my mind I always knew this was true of how I felt. Which leads to ...
I miss the times when all men were expected to be noble and grow up to be leaders in the home.
  • Yes, many men are still expected to be like this, but not all. I grew up with a protective father and have a protective husband. I can't imagine how so many women go through life without having at least experienced one or the other in their lives. To be truthful, I hated having to withstand that independent women nonsense when I was single. I wasn't built for it. I enjoy having that strong masculine guidance in my life and always felt a lacking for it when it wasn't there.
I wish I could have worn those fashions too!
  • Those beautiful overly-adorned hats, those long dresses, the conservative look of having your femininity all wrapped up yet still on display. Jeans are utilitarian. Maybe they make fit legs look good, but other than that they seem too masculine.
It was the era of the homemaker
  • Housewives were in all their glory in the late 1800s. It was a time of the industrial boom in the United States, when men went to work to make money for the household, and women invested part of their lives in the kitchen and dining room -- buying furniture, china, making scrumptious meals, having dinner parties. A woman's life was so wrapped in domesticity that it was an art form. That is where my mentality is -- this is where I live.
People often look down upon the social constructs of the old ways of previous generations, but I think they were beautiful. Although we are free to live the lives we want to today, I just feel it is a shame that everyone doesn't live like this. Long  live the 1800s.

2 comments:

Summer said...

Although I love the amenities of today. Washing machine, dryer, dishwasher. I understand your thinking completely. I love baking and cooking. I must say that I do love the dresses from the 1950's. Ladies dress gloves, heels and pearls.

Quaint Housewife said...

I so agree with you!