Thursday, January 23, 2014

The Housewife and Alone Time: How Do You Deal?

"Frankly, anything that gets him
out of the house nights is fine with me."
-- Tina Louise in The Stepford Wives


Housewives can face a lot of alone time in their roles. Here are comments from homemakers about how they feel about it and what they do with that time.


  • "Exercise. Laundry. Ironing. Polishing. Dusting. Cooking."
  • "It used to bother me, but I'm used to it now. If I had to work outside the home again I'd probably feel like I was thrown into chaos."
  • I like when my husband is around, but when he isn't I go all cleaning OCD and pull out my trusty vacuum.
  • "I look forward to it honestly. I love my husband, but he is a talker and plays loud music. When he's at work, it means I get some peace."
  • "Crocheting, embroidery."
  • "Not good with quiet time. I make sure to call my friends, have my headphones on, or the TV playing. I need the stimulation. That's the only thing I miss about having a full-time job."
  • "The cats keep me company, so I'm not alone, but I am heavily into organic gardening. It feeds us throughout the year and gives my something to focus on when I'm alone."
  • "I think about the dinner I'm going to serve my spouse when he gets home. Then I plan my chores around prepping and cooking."
  • "I'm so busy during the day I don't even think about it."
  • "Wasn't aware alone time was something to be 'dealt with.' I'll take it when I can get it."
  • "Give me a cigarette and my chair on the balcony and I'm just fine."
  • "I clean when my man is at home, and do hobbies when alone. I can't focus on creativity when I'm focusing on him."
  • "Reading the Bible is my favorite alone-time activity. It brings me back to my center. But I don't stay alone all the time. I try to make my home life social. I go grocery shopping with my best friend, have coffee at each other's house, talk about married life."

Every housewife has her own way of spending alone time. What is yours?

13 comments:

Teri Waldron said...

When I'm not doing housework I'm busy planning housework or whatever task I've found to try on Pinterest. I'm addicted to Pinterest.

Quaint Housewife said...

Us housewives tend to stay busy! I love Pinterest too, Teri.

Katrinaville said...

Tv series, books and gym! 😊 love your blogs, btw.

Quaint Housewife said...

Katrinaville, what do you watch and read? I am loving Cedar Cove right now. It's a Hallmark series on Netflix. I also do exercise videos. I like to read classic authors like F. Scott Fitzgerald too. Thanks for your comment. I hope to see more of them!

Anonymous said...

I read when I'm supposed to be taking care of the house. :) So many books, so little time.

Catherine said...

I agree. I love a good book!

Anonymous said...

A PHD was giving a lecture at a woman's meeting. She'd been divorced the past 18 years. She said to the ladies that housework is boring. I was thinking to myself, "How does she know?" Such foolishness coming out of the mouth of someone who isn't even a housewife! I always find plenty to do whether husband is home or not. Love it! And love finding ladies who feel the same way I do. Good thing there is internet though to try to make up for what we once had- local extended family, household helpers rather than machines, and like minded communities.

Catherine said...

Uhhh, I hate those women who just think life can't exist inside of the home just for the sake of itself. I would rather be a housewife than a PhD with a divorce under my belt. I live far away from my family, so I definitely agree with you about things that once were. I loved your comment overall!

Anonymous said...

I work on my projects (knits, pillows, rugs, clothing, paintings, bookmarks, jewelry etc), read, study yoga lessons, go out and walk or exercise at home.

A neighbor was convinced that I get bored at home and she said something nasty about it once. In fact the one who gets bored is her but she projected that feeling towards me.

All the best,

Mia

Bercel KyBer said...

I like to exercise, read, listen to music, write in my journal, look for recipes, cook, clean and post on my favorite forum.

Catherine Walker said...

Bercel,

Excellent hobbies! I bet your husband appreciates the "recipes, cook, clean" a whole lot.

The Retro Homemaker said...

I love being a housewife but I admit it gets lonely. I don't see my friends as much as I used to but I developed online friendships. I take care of our two male cats, such a joy.

Catherine Walker said...

Retro,

I understand how you feel. All my friends are actually out of state. We have three female cats. Two are mild but one is nothing but trouble.

Quaint Housewife