Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Should the Husband or the Housewife Handle Household Finances?

Who Handles the Budget in Your House?
Photo by Tax Credits: CC by 2.0 via Flickr

Which person in the household handles the budget? Is it the husband or the housewife? In my opinion, the housewife is the best person to do this, and this is the standard for many, but not all couples. So, why the housewife? Simply put, she is home and can manage the math for the bills, investments, insurance, grocery money, spending money, etc., more easily than her husband that is working 40 hours per week.

In addition, the housewife handling the bills puts the power of the finances in her hands so that while she is home, she has understood access to all funds, has an established budget, and can keep her husband's mind at ease that someone is actively keeping an eye on the finances.

Wives usually end up being the de-facto paperwork managers in the household, so the financial management would naturally fall into this.

Who handles the finances in your house?


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Husband brings in the money and I manage it. He wanted to see an initial draft of it when we first got married, to make sure I was on the right track, but he hasn't asked to look at it since. I too think housewifes are best for managing household money. Yay for us!

Quaint Housewife said...

That sounds perfect! Glad the system worked for you!

Teri Waldron said...

I manage the finances. I have a better head for the cost of things than he does. He prefers to not even think about anything like that. He's gotten upset with companies that call him instead of me. We're working on paying off some debt right now so after I make payments I write the balances down and post them on a wall for him to look at when he's curious. Only problem is he forgets to tell him when he wants to buy something and I don't budget for it, but it eventually works out.

Quaint Housewife said...

Our husbands are alike. I manage the finances too. My husband hates paperwork so much.