Sunday, January 5, 2014

How to Steam Bake Whole Potatoes in a Conventional Oven: Two Methods

How to steam bake whole potatoes in a conventional oven without using a microwave

Hello all! For those of you that love potatoes but are hesitant to bake them on the rack because you don't like how dry they get, here are two ways to cook whole potatoes in a conventional or toaster oven so they are very moist, without using a microwave.


I absolutely hate the idea of nuking my food. In fact, I would get rid of my microwave completely if my husband didn't use it to occasionally reheat his coffee. I am definitely a traditionalist.


(I am also opposed to wrapping aluminum foil around my potatoes to to keep them moist straight on the rack because I have read many times about health problems related to heat-activated aluminum in foods.)


EASY METHOD


How to Steam Whole Potatoes in a Conventional or Toaster Oven Using the Bake and Butter Method

  1. Pre-heat oven to 400°.
  2. Scrub clean three russet potatoes and pat dry.
  3. Rub softened butter all over the potatoes.
  4. Poke holes in the potatoes
  5. Place directly on the rack and bake up to 1 hour.

The above method will give you a baked flavored potato but also be incredibly moist off the rack. By the way, the butter flavor and buttery texture will disappear when the potatoes are done.



LONGER METHOD


How to Steam Whole Potatoes in a Conventional or Toaster Oven Using the Bake Boil Method (pictured)

  1. Pre-heat oven to 400°.
  2. Find a small roasting pan that has a matching lid. (I use my old-fashioned speckled steel pan.)
  3. Gather three Russet potatoes or six medium-sized potatoes, like Idaho or Yukon Gold.
  4. Clean and cut any bruises off potatoes. Then poke numerous fork holes into all sides of them.
  5. Stick potatoes in your pan and fill pan with cold water about three-quarters the height of the potatoes.
  6. Place lid over pan and stick pan in oven. Bake for 45 minutes at 400°.
  7. Take potatoes out of oven, turn them over, and place back in oven for another 45 minutes.
These potatoes are a great side dish to make when you want to "set it and forget it" for a while, for example, if you have a lot of cleaning to do or need to catch up on some homework (for those wives among you that attend college).

The flavor you get from cooking potatoes this way is unique. You get a baked potato flavor but yet it is moist and a little creamy.


That's all! Now you can top them with butter, sour cream, cheese, broccoli, or anything else you like, just like you do with regular baked potatoes.




Enjoy!

4 comments:

Ira said...

Hey,
I didn't know where to contact you, so I decided to comment.
I, too, decided to be a housewife, or "homemaker" as I prefer it.
I had a great career going for me, yet I let it all go in pursuit of domestic bliss.
I don't have children yet.
I wanted to know if you are planning on having children in the future?

Quaint Housewife said...

Ira!

Thanks for joining me here. Your story sounds eerily familiar.

I will probably not have kids. I haven't ruled it out completely though. Are you looking forward to having them or are you undecided?

What is your favorite part of homemaking by the way? I'd like to know more about your story.

Steph. :) said...

Another way to bake potatoes that you might like so that the skins are amazing is to lightly rub the skins with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Then place on a cookie sheet in the oven. Yum!

Quaint Housewife said...

Hi Steph, that will result in a potato with the moisture really sealed in. I think I will try this. My husband complains about baked potatoes being too dry, so I think I will follow your advice next time!