Saturday, January 4, 2014

Embroidery -- one of my favorite homemaking crafts


After cooking one of my favorite chicken dinners, cleaning, and my other housework for the day, I sat down to work on my favorite hobby ...

If you are as into homemaking as I am, you might also have some arts and crafts interests -- mine is crewel embroidery. I have not been doing this long, but I love it. So I decided to try a simple kit to relax with -- one great for any woman trying to break into a new embroidery hobby.

This is the kit I worked on:


Easy Embroidery Kit


Crewel embroidery is a type of needlework in which you fill in all parts of an embroidery design entirely with stitches. The picture above is the pre-stamped design I am working on, using the two simplest stitches in embroidery -- the satin stitch and the back stitch, to make a butterfly.

I told myself if I completed this embroidery project in a week, I'd treat myself to a fancy apron.

Housewife Hobby: Embroidery

Although this is my favorite hobby, I still require discipline considering how life has plenty of distractions. So, above is a full view of the stamped design. I am almost done the butterfly. I simply have to fill in the spaces between the yellow and blue parts on the wings.

I have to get better at making my stitches all go in the right direction, and making them more uniform, but it is all a labor of love. My husband and I are working on a project to eventually re-upholster our wooden chairs with my embroidered designs.


Crewel Embroidery: My Butterfly


My favorite part of the embroidery is showing it off to my husband -- "Honey, honey -- look what I did!" and then seeing him smile and hearing him say, "Good job!" 

Do you have any hobbies you especially enjoy?


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh this looks nice! Love the butterfly. I am a housewife too with no plans to have kids. I stumbled upon your blog and will be checking for your updates. I can relate to you. I haven't tried embroidery but I hand sew and crochet when I have a lot of time on my hands. You are making me want to try embroidery

Quaint Housewife said...

Thanks for the compliment! I tried crocheting. I wish I were better at it, but that is one skill I haven't mastered. What kinds of things do you crochet?

Teri Waldron said...

My favorite thing is create personal kitchen towels with needlepoint.

Quaint Housewife said...

I need to try that. What kind of designs do you make? By the way, I forgot to thank you for saying you love my blog on the other post. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Nice work. I like embroidering designs on fabric I turn into potholders.

Catherine said...

Thanks! Another idea I could use.

The Happy Mrs. said...

I really hope you get to finish this. I have the same kit and just finished it myself.
Good luck!

The Quaint Housewife said...

Luck needed. Thank you, Happy Mrs.